Forward Collision Warning
The Forward Collision Warning (FCW) system uses a radar to detect vehicles or obstacles in front of the car. The system calculates the distance to the object in front and, if the car gets close enough that there is a risk of collision, sounds an alarm and displays a visual alert, prompting the driver to apply the brakes.
Forward Collision Warning alerts you if an object in your path has suddenly stopped or slowed down, so you can react faster. FCW will significantly reduce the chance of a crash or a fatal accident.
FCW Main Features:
- Scans the road 20 times per seconds up to 500 feet ahead
- Detects all types of vehicles in front, including bicycles and motorbikes (metal objects)
- Works effectively in all weather conditions – day or night
- Gives you up to 5 seconds of extra reaction time
Did you know that…
- Rear-end crashes are the most common crash type in the United States*
- There were approximately 1.8 million rear-end crashes in 2013**
- 90% of rear-end collisions can be avoided with only 1.5 second early warning***
How does FCW work?
- The display lights go green
- No alert sounds
Vehicle detected ahead at a safe distance
- The display lights go orange
- No alert sounds
Slow down and keep a safe distance from the vehicle ahead
- The display lights go red
- A loud and high beep sounds
Driving too close and dangerous to the vehicle ahead – stop and increase distance from the vehicle ahead!
Risk of Collision!
- The display flashes red
- Rapid beeps start sounding
Risk of immediate impact to the vehicle ahead and airbag deployment – stop immediately or veer out of the lane!
The Forward Collision Warning system scans the traffic ahead 20 times per second up to 500 feet in front of you and then warns you to brake or steer if a hazard is in your path. There are three levels of alerts:
Warning Time Before a Collision
Note: The audio alert will only be shortened by half if the brake pedal is depressed or the signaling has been activated to switch between lanes.
RD-140 also features a Lane Departure Warning System, which uses advanced camera to detect lane markings and alerts the driver about unexpected lane deviations.
Drive cautiously and keep a safe following distance from the traffic ahead of you. You may have to brake suddenly at any time. Our Forward Collision Warning system is designed to alert you to a hazard ahead of time so that you can take action. If you are warned by the system, you can brake or steer quickly. Keep in mind that FCW is not an automated braking system, so it will not apply the brakes on your vehicle.
- FCW may not perform as expected due to factors such as the shape of the vehicle in front (some shapes do not reflect radar well, etc.), bad weather (rain, snow, fog, etc.), and road conditions (multiple curves, undulations, etc.)
- FCW is designed to reduce the risk of accidents by warning the driver that there is a risk of a collision. However, the system has its limitations, and no safety system or combination of such systems can prevent all accidents. These systems are not a replacement for safe and attentive driving. Please drive carefully at all times and do not rely on technology to prevent an accident.